The Old Fashioned cocktail is a timeless classic that has been enjoyed for well over a century. Made with just a few simple ingredients, including whiskey, sugar, and bitters, the Old Fashioned is an elegant and sophisticated cocktail that has stood the test of time. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the history of the Old Fashioned, the ingredients needed to make this classic cocktail, and the step-by-step process for crafting the perfect drink.
This cocktail is a timeless whiskey drink from the Old Fashioned made with bitters, simple syrup, and fruit. Some experts suggest naming the cocktail the “Old Fashioned” because it is one of the earliest known mixed drinks. The name “Old Fashioned Way” originated from customers requesting the drink.
Ingredients for Old Fashioned Cocktail
To make an Cocktail Old Fashioned, you will need some ingredients which are as follows-
- 2 teaspoons simple syrup
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 1 (1.5 fluid ounces) jigger bourbon whiskey
- 1 tsp water
- 1 orange slice
- 2 dashes bitter
- 1 cup ice cubes
Method for making Old-Fashioned Cocktails
The process of making an Old-Fashioned Cocktail is as follows-
- To make the old-fashioned cocktail, you will need to pour 2 teaspoons of simple syrup, 1 teaspoon of water, and 2 dashes of bitters into a whiskey glass.
- Now it has to be stirred until these ingredients mix well.
- Next, pour 1 cup of ice cubes and 1 jigger (1.5 fl oz) of bourbon whiskey into the glass.
- Finally, garnish your Old-Fashioned cocktail with a slice of orange and a maraschino cherry. In this way your old-fashioned cocktail is ready.
Tips for Old Fashioned Cocktail
Here are some suggestions for making some old-fashioned recipes which are as follows –
- Use a high-quality bourbon or rye whiskey for the best flavor you can. A good whiskey is the foundation of a great Old Fashioned.
- Fresh oranges, cherries, and bitters should be used to give the cocktail the right flavor.
- You can use simple syrup instead of granulated sugar. Simple syrup mixes better with other ingredients and doesn’t leave sugar crystals at the bottom of the glass.
- Use a meddler to crush fruits. This will help in retaining the flavor and aroma of the fruit.
- Use the right glassware. An Old Fashioned glass is a short glass with a heavy base, which is perfect for this drink.
- By following these tips, you can make a wonderful Cocktail Old Fashioned that will impress your friends and family.
Thus this classic cocktail has stood the test of time and remains a popular choice for whiskey connoisseurs today. Enjoying an Old Fashioned isn’t just about the taste of the drink, but also about the history and tradition it represents.